18 July 2008

Singin' the Blues

Maggie is hosting a contest in which she encourages us to "develop a blues name". The Blues is (are?) one of my favorite musical genres, so I was eager to apply my mind to this one. After a little thought, I said "D'oh!" and wondered why it didn't come to me immediately!

I would be, of course "Cat Mama Lee". Cat Mama because, well, I AM. Mother to 4 cats certainly qualifies me to be a cat mama, wouldn't you think? "Lee" because it's my middle name (though spelled "Leigh") and nearly every Southern name has a Lee in it somewhere and that just seems to complete the whole Southern or Delta Blues sound of the name.

As Cat Mama Lee, I would want to sing like Bessie Smith or Chris Thomas King: gravelly voiced, sometimes sad, sometimes risque but always true South.

By the way, if you've never heard Chris Thomas King, you really should. He mixes new sounds with old Blues and is a master. Me, My Guitar and the Blues is one of my favorite albums. Another great Blues sound is the Jimi Hendrix album Blues. An amazing album that showcases just how talented that young man was and how he could wring the Blues out of his guitar as easily as he could make it scream rock 'n roll.

2 Comments:

Blogger maggie moran said...

I love it Medbie, and thanks so much for the blues links! This is a really bluesy cool post! As for the name, Lee as in General Robert E. Lee our misguided leader! :D Good luck on the contest.

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me about Chris Thomas King. I "sort of" forgot about him, but I remember him from O, Brother Where Art Thou and being very impressed.

BTW, found you through Sunday Salon, in case you're wondering from where I came.

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home