25 May 2009

A Good Day

I have the best husband in the world. Not just because he willingly inspects all the odd topical skin dealies I worry about. Not just because he plays board games and computer games with me. Not just because he laughs at my jokes and makes jokes so that I will laugh. Not just because he understands me in a way that no one else has or ever will.

Today illustrates why I have the best husband in the world.

We were on our way home from shopping at three different stores. I'm a vegetarian, he's not, and grocery shopping for us both can sometimes take a while. We're on the interstate and our car starts vibrating like crazy. We both began to do the "ahhhhh" routine, letting the vibration make our voice go, well vibratey, and laughing like hyenas over it. Yeah, he knew there was something wrong with the tire, but he knew he could probably get us home safely before disaster struck. He stayed chipper and we got off the interstate just a few miles from home.

We made it soooo close to home (a mile? less?) when the tire just couldn't take it any more and *insert horrid noise here* let us know. Stoney, still as cheerful as ever, pulled off the road and started changing the tire. I got out, not wanting to sit in the AC while he was out in the sun sweating, changing a tire, and tried to make myself useful. He starts jacking up the car, looks over his shoulder at me with that mischievous grin I love so and said, "What, no photos? You're not twittering this?" We both did some more hyena action, I grabbed my phone, took and twittered this:


He did all the hard work, while I twittered and took photos, including our Towel Day 2009 photo:

We ALWAYS know where our towel is--in the car in it in the trunk in case of emergencies, like today when it was used a LOT!

Stoney put on the spare, making jokes and being his wonderful self and we packed up the trunk to go. Only to discover that the blasted spare was leaking! What did he do? Did he get sullen, or mad, or mean? Nope! He just said, "Well, we're close to home, we should be able to make it."

It was bumpy ride towards the end, but he never faltered, never got frustrated, annoyed or mean. We pulled into our drive way, chuckled about our latest adventure and took in the groceries. And while he showered off the grime and dust and sweat, I thought, I'm so lucky: even having a flat tire is a good day with him. Yeah, I sound sappy, but I have the best husband in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home