15 June 2007

Rejoice!

A new Tolkien! Huzzah, huzzah, huzzah! It came out two months ago, and I'm just now running across it, but thank goodness I have!

To quote the Amazon article:
Adam Tolkien on The Children of Húrin

How did a lifetime of stories become The Children of Húrin? In an essay on the making of the book, Adam Tolkien, grandson of J.R.R. Tolkien (and French translator of his History of Middle-earth), explains that the Húrin legends made up the third "Great Tale" of his grandfather's Middle-earth writing, and he describes how his father, Christopher Tolkien, painstakingly collected the pieces of the legend into a complete story told only in the words of J.R.R. Tolkien. "For anyone who has read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings," he writes, The Children of Húrin "allows them to take a step back into a larger world, an ancient land of heroes and vagabonds, honour and jeopardy, hope and tragedy."

I'm so super excited! I can't wait to tell Stoney--anyone who would slog through The Silmarillion (I've only read bits) will go even more gaga than me over this new Tolkien delight.

Look at these illustrations! Wonder if they are in the regular edition, or just the deluxe ? My guess is it's just the deluxe, and wow, it looks awesome!




I placed a hold for it at my county library. The county has 10 copies all of which are checked out; I am number FIFTY in the holds line. Geez Louise! We'll end up buying it anyway, so it might have to be sooner rather than later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home