10 May 2008

ORBIS TERRARUM Challenge



Another Sunday Salon blog participant has the ORBIS TERRARUM Challenge which I'm also keen to join!


- The Orbis Terrarum Challenge begins April 1 2008( you are welcome to join later) Through December 20th 2008.
- For the challenge each reader is to choose 9 books (for the 9 months).
-Each book must be by an author from a different nation in our world.



Great Britain
Coincidence by David Ambrose
read 18 April 2008
5 star thriller, with a twist.

United States
The Gift by Patrick O'Leary
read 29 April 2008
Wonderful, 5 star book; highly recommended.

Norway
The Christmas Mystery by Jostein Gaarder
read 17 May 2008
Fascinating Christian Christmas tale, full of philosophy, magic and mysticism, by one of my favorite writers; 5 stars.

Mexico
Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
read 17 May 2008
While I loved her magical realism style and her lovely prose, I wasn't able to fully sympathize with the characters or have sympathy for their plight as they struggled to continue to love each other without his wife knowing. Not my bag; 3 stars. I will however, look up other books by Esquivel, because I loved her writing style.

Japan
Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto
read 27 May 2008 | my review


China

Sky Burial by Xinran
read 3 June 2008 | my review

Inda
The Toss of a Lemon by Padma Viswanathan
read 5 September 2008 | my review

2 Comments:

Blogger bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

YAY! Welcome! It is never too late, perfect timing.

Can't wait to see what you end up choosing. And reading your thoughts!

Glad you are joining us.

4:16 PM  
Blogger bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

I am so glad you are enjoying it! I love it. I love international books, and this way I can learn way more about them than I would reading them on my own.

Way to go, you have read so many already!!!

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home