01 July 2009

Jane Eyre: The Graphic Novel

Jane Eyre: The Graphic Novel
Reading level: Young Adult
Paperback: 144 pages
Publisher: Classical Comics (January 6, 2009)
2/5 stars

Though very easy to read, and engrossing (due to the original story), Jane Eyre: The Graphic Novel owes a lot of flaws to its medium. The darkness and style of the art (typical graphic novel art, I might add) was only appropriate for some of the novel and made it seem much more dreary than it is.

Also, due to the format and need to make the story fit into a smaller book, much (and some of it important, to a frequent Jane Eyre reader anyway) was left out. This made the book seem, to me, choppy and not fully explained. I wondered at times if I would understand the action or reasons if I had not already read the full book many times.

While this might be a nice introduction to a classic for some younger readers, I really would not recommend it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home