13 May 2008

Snow by Tracy Lynn

Snow by Tracy LynnReading level: Young Adult
Mass Market Paperback: 272 pages
Publisher: Simon Pulse (October 24, 2006)
4/5 Stars

For my "fairy tale" portion of the Once Upon a Time Reading Quest, I chose Snow by Tracy Lynn, a retelling of the Snow White fairy tale set in Victorian Britain. When I say "set in Victorian Britain", I mean of course, a slightly alternate universe-y Britain, where magic is possible and can combine with science (and an evil mind) to create some rather interesting and cruel events.

The basic plot is the same as the fairy tale: a lovely girl must run away from her witch of a stepmother to keep from having her heart eaten by said stepmum, but she still falls prey to her evil plans and as a result stays in an enchanted sleep until a kiss restores her. But Ms. Lynn uses the framework of this fairy tale to build a nice, well-rounded fantasy with characters that I cared about and was sad to leave. It's a Young Adult book, and as such is light and easy to read, while still being serious enough to keep adult interest. I'm always looking for fairy tale retellings --they are one of my favorite genre's--and I'm delighted to have stumbled on this one.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Alix said...

Oh this sounds like something I would like!

Thanks for the visit. I'll have to wait to read American Gods as I have over spent at Amazon this month and have so much to read but I'm looking forward to it and the next one. Eve more so after your comments :)

11:31 PM  
Blogger Joy said...

Medbie ~ I'm sorry to inform you that I had to delete your latest 4 links on the A ~ Z Challenge. Two books (this one and Midnight...) were linked for both title and author. You can only use a book one time - either title or author. You are welcome to relink the books. I didn't want to assume where you wanted each book, so that's why I deleted all four. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause you.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Medbie said...

I'm so embarrassed! I don't know what I was thinking, posting them like that! I'll repost my links, thanks! :D

5:39 PM  
Blogger Joy said...

Seriously, it's not a problem! We all make mistakes. I'm glad you are going to repost. :) Happy Reading!

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home